Dwell brings you the best contemporary home design and ideas for making your own space a great place to live. We are seeking an editor to oversee the launch of a new section focused the issues and ideas that affect our homes and how we live—from affordable housing, planning, and policy to the changing makeup of U.S. households. The ideal candidate is passionate about the intersection of design and social justice, has experience growing and managing a team of contributors, and has a track record of making big topics feel relatable and urgent to a wide audience. This role will report to the Executive Editor.
Our offices are in New York and San Francisco, but remote candidates will be considered.
What You Will Do
- Assign and edit shorter and longer turn around reported and commentary pieces on policy-related issues for the website and print magazine.
- Bring in voices that are authoritative but approachable—human-centered, not academic—who have expertise in their areas, as well as strong and varied points
of view (with a sense of humor when appropriate).
- Manage the vertical’s editorial calendar and freelancers.
- Generate story ideas and special projects that will expand our audience.
- Work with our Art Department to commission illustrations and photography.
- Work with our social editor and marketing teams on packaging and promotion.
- Help define Dwell’s unique style and point of view in our third decade.
- 5-10 years of editorial experience.
- Experience editing impactful short and long form pieces, and thinking about various mediums those stories can live in.
- A lengthy roster of sources and freelancers.
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Expert fact checking skills.
- Excitement about working with a small, tight-knit team.
- An obsession with thinking about how spaces can help us live better, together.